Thursday, February 19, 2009

sign laungage is so awesome!

After high school I worked at a day care called "little angels". It was for children and their families who has some special need that was keeping them out of traditional day cares. Some of the children there has Downs syndrome or autism. Most had a hard time communicating. some of the children would use ASL . This was my first real introduction to sign language and I was fascinated. I decided to take some ASL classes from the local college. They were so fun and I learned a lot. then I helped teach one of my nieces a bit of sign, that was cool too. Now I am teachin Arora to sign. it is so fun and helpful. She doesn't have real words to tell us what she wants or needs but she has learned a few signs to help. So far she does
More,
All done
Milk- nurse
Ball and
Book.
We have been working on potty for a long time but she doesn't do it. I think it has helped us to "talk" about what she is wanting and helped to see her as a little person not just a baby. Which is one of my main parenting goals. I think everyone should teach a bit of sign so here is a helpful website.

http://www.babies-and-sign-language.com/
You will be amazed at what your kids can do.

4 comments:

Cassandra said...

Yeah that sounds like fun. I get out of class at 11:15 but Mady usually takes her nap between then and 2.

Lisa C said...

Michael recognized the sign for "milk" when he was 5 months, and I think he might start using it soon. He knows potty, but somehow I doubt he'll use that one any time soon! I want to teach him "help" and other popular signs. I'm all about communicating with my baby!

ellie said...

Thank you for teaching Kaylee. I think it's so cute that she helped teach Caleb how to sign. Now Ethan is recognizing a couple of signs already.

Cassandra said...

We're all sick again.. it looks like Wed isn't going to be such a good idea.. I'll let you know how we're feeling, but both Kendall and I took sick days today and Mady is starting to sound sick tonight.. :( We might have to try next week