Thursday, June 17, 2010

New midwife

I finally switch my midwife and could not be happier. I was getting so frustrated with my other midwife. I always had to wait, some times up to an hour past my appointment time. Then I would see her for 5 minutes and she would be out the door. I never had my questions answered or felt like she even knew my name.
So I switched to a different clinic and love them. When the midwifes previous appointment went 10 minutes over, the assistant came in and apologized and gave me a gift card to Starbucks to say sorry. I thought that was a bit over the top, but so different from the first midwife. When the midwife, Julia, did come in she introduced herself and actually sat down to talk with me and David. First thing she asked what questions I had, and if David had any questions.We were both was called by our names through out the appointment. She listened and asked clarifying questions. She was supportive of my desire to have a low intervention- unmediated birth. She answered all my questions and invited me to bring any other questions next time I come.
She was kind, personable and even made some jokes. It was like night and day. This is why I wanted to see a midwife, for a personal connection. I have been smiling all day. I am just so happy with the new clinic.

6 comments:

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

So glad it went well and you found someone you're comfortable with!

Kathy Haynie said...

Holly, I am so glad you made the decision to seek care that met your goals for this birth. How wonderful that Julia and other clinic staff members have an outlook more like yours.

Stephanie Grimwood said...

You are a very brave woman. I think it would be hard for me to change my ob (sorry I don't qualify for midwives) at the end. I think it is awesome, you definitely want to have someone you like and trust.

Lisa C said...

I'm so glad for you. What a relief!! Now you know where to go next time, huh?

Shannon said...

Hey! Is the clinic Women's Health Clinic by Willamette Falls? If so, Julia was my bro's girlfriend's midwife and she was AWESOME. She labored all day and I got to know Julia pretty well while we were there. I LOVED her. It ended in a C-Section for unpreventable reasons but besides that, Julia was terrific! So glad you're happy with the switch. :)

Mrs. Stam said...

Fantastic! It's nice to have someone that you like :-)