Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mostly for family

Dear Family and friends,
Some of you may know that my dad's dad, Grandpa Jack is quite sick. He is living with my parents now and still not doing very well. I don't know if any of you have spent much time with elderly people but I have, and they have a special part of my heart. I know my parents must be very busy trying to take care of grandpa's needs and trying to figure out what is best for him. It is a hard decision to make, keep him there at home or try and find a place where he would be safe, cared-for and some what happy. I worked for nearly 5 years in the nursing home field. I know that there are some wonderful homes for elderly people, and there are some places I would never put my grandparents in. Grandpa never wanted to be a sick old man, or to be a burden on his family, his wish would be to die quickly when he could no longer take care of himself. I selfishly wish to see him one more time, as we all do for our loved ones. But perhaps it would be more loving for me to pray that he could pass quickly. I know that working with the elderly has thought me great things. Love, patience, empathy, acceptance and much more that I can not put into words. For some of the people who I had the honor of working with I think maybe they were kept here on earth to teach me something. Some of my most uplifting memories and lessons learned are from people who did not even know me. Their Alzheimer's was to the stage that every day was a new day and every face a new face. Is there something left for someone to learn form my grandfather?

5 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Holly, thank you for writing about your grandfather and your insights from working with the elderly. This was very moving and thought-provoking for me. I do not know Grandpa Jack, but I am certain he is grateful for his loving and wonderful family.

Stephanie Grimwood said...

Holly, I don't know your Grandpa Jack that well. But, Jason loves him. He talks about him all the time. I guess he has had little visit over there with him when he gets the mail. Thanks for your wonderful words

Lisa C said...

I wish Grandpa Jack could be happy. At first I was excited for him to come up, but then I didn't realize it was going to make him so miserable. I have lost one grandfather to misery and I have another one who is pretty sick and miserable and my grandmother is finding it harder and harder to take care of him. It's so sad! I hope Grandpa Jack can find peace one way or another.

You're certainly not selfish for wanting to see him. But I hope you will give him a call or write him a letter. I wish I had done that before my Grandpa passed away.

Unknown said...

Holly, thanks for sharing. I know that the Lord truly has a plan for all of us, and He loves us all. It is not bad to want to see him, or to wish he could pass. You love him and that is what is driving both feelings. You are in our thoughts and prayers and I hope you and all your family, especially Grandpa Jack can find peace, however that comes.

David Mayer said...

I have only been able to meet Grandpa Jack once, but that one encounter taught me what a sensitive and tender person he is. I am certain he still has much to teach those close to him, and now that he is up in Oregon City among family, he will have more opportunities to do just that.
Also don't forget the fact that he still has chances to learn as well. We often forget that just because someone is old, they haven't necessarily learned everything. Some of the greatest lessons I learned in school were right before graduation!

P.S. I sure am glad to hear that he and Jason are hitting it off so well!